HISTORY OF GUV
THE MASTER PLAN
Designed as a complete urban village, Grand Union Village has been created through the redevelopment of a 54-acre site alongside the Grand Union Canal. The Masterplan consists of:
- Over 700 Eco-homes, from one-bedroom apartments to five bedroom houses, including 35% affordable and key worker accommodation
- A shop and restaurant developed around the canal basin
- Homezones, promoting the use of streets as safe places to enjoy and live
- A car share club, crèche and proposed health and leisure facilities to benefit the local area
- 20 acres of public open space for the community to enjoy
1868 – the published Ordnance Survey map shows a canal running in a north-south direction adjacent to the eastern boundary of the site with a wharf being located on the western bank. Two branches of this canal are present within the site, which run in a east-west direction. The site is labelled as an ‘old brickfield’ and ‘brickfield’ with two clay mills identified as brick and tile manufacturers.
1895 – the wharf is no longer named and is now incorporated into the brickfield area. The two branches of the canal are now identified as docks.
1896 – the New Patent Brick Company of London built a large mechanised plant on the site.
1917 – St Marylebone Council takes over the disposal of its own rubbish and is offered part of the site operated by the Northolt Brick and Tile Works Company to empty its barges. By 1919 this ‘shoot’ was full and 20 acres of land on the Greenford side of the canal took its place.
1908 – some of the land and buildings were let as a guano store, importing material via the canal for the production of fertiliser.
1935 – the northern dock is recorded as having been mostly filled in. The final brickmaker in the area was the Middlesex Brick Co Ltd, which bought the site in 1935.
1942 – Taylor Woodrow acquired the site as Frank Taylor moved from the North West to relocate to Southall. It was the headquarters of Taylor Woodrow Construction for over 60 years and also contained maintenance, storage and research facilities, as well as a private recreational club for employees and their families.
As the nature of Taylor Woodrow’s operations changed it was recognized that the site was an underused resource, which presented a major opportunity to bring about the re-use of this previously developed industrial site.
1999 – a consultation process was agreed with Ealing and Hillingdon Councils and Taylor Woodrow decided to adopt a community led approach.
2000 – A community planning weekend was organized and attended by over 300 people. 42 people agreed to play an ongoing role in the development of the masterplan which then evolved. Planning applications were then submitted.
2002 – Outline planning consent was granted by the London Boroughs of Ealing and Hillingdon and the target set for an eco-friendly, ‘urban village’.
There are three shops on the Village underneath the Community Facility: Costcutter supermarket, Kirshans Hair & Beauty Salon, and King’s Pizza.
There is provision in the outline planning consent for a private leisure facility in the southern part of the Village looking onto Broadmead Road. Discussions are underway with potential providers and this facility will be subject to a separate planning application (RMA).
The GUV Health Centre is located at the end of Brick Lane on Taywood Road. For further information, including registering with a doctor’s surgery and appointments call:
Community Services: 020 3313 7500
(includes sexual health, family planning, speech therapy)
Allenby Clinic: 020 3313 7630
Broadmead Surgery: 020 3313 7570 (previously Church Road)
Goodcare Practice: 020 3313 7600
Northolt Pharmacy: 020 3313 7535
A 3,000 m ecological area will be developed in the northern corner of the public open space, near to the canal basin. This should be released in Spring 2008.